DEADLY HOUSE FIRE HIGHLIGHTS IMPORTANCE OF HOME FIRE SAFETY

Vancouver, WA – (RealEstateRama) — The Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined a recent late-night blaze originated in the kitchen, claiming the life of an adult.

The investigation is ongoing and the victim has not been positively identified.

Late last week investigators verified that at least one of the electric stove burners was turned on at the time of the fire. This finding, along with other burn patterns found at the scene, introduces the possibility that cooking was involved in the ignition of the fire.

“The extensive damage to the home made it impossible to determine the exact circumstances that led to this tragic event,” said Fire Marshal Jon Dunaway. “Our hearts go out to the victim’s family and friends.”

The fire originated inside the north end of the 900 square foot mobile home located at 1505 N.W. 379th St., La Center. Flames quickly spread through the rest of the building.

Heat from the blaze caused nearby propane tanks and aerosol cans to explode. A neighbor called 911 to report the fire at 12:36 a.m., Tuesday, March 22.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, many household fires are related to cooking. A 2013 study showed that almost half of all house fires started in the kitchen. The second leading cause was heating, accounting for about 13 percent of residential fires.

“This is a sad reminder of the importance of home fire safety including regularly testing your smoke alarms and having an escape plan,” said Fire Marshal Jon Dunaway.

For more information on home fire safety and a checklist to help prevent household fires, visit clark.wa.gov/community-development/home-fire-safety.

CONTACT
Susan Anderson
Senior Deputy Fire Marshal
Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office
(360) 397-2186 ext. 3321
susan.anderson (at) clark.wa (dot) gov

SHARE
Previous articleCantwell Launches National Campaign to Increase Federal Resources for Affordable Housing
Next articleNEW DOG PARK COMING TO COUNTY PROPERTY OFF NORTHEAST 192ND AVENUE